Fish curry can be served with white/brown rice. Fish curry and rice is the staple food of Goa.
- Fish cleaned and cut into medium pieces
- Coconut 1 cup, finely grated
- Tamarind size of a small lemon
- Turmeric Powder 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp or 5 dried red chilies
- Coriander seeds 1 tsp
- Onion 1/2 cup finely chopped
- salt to taste
- oil 1 tsp
- Wash fish, clean by removing fins, tail, scales.
- Marinate with salt, a pinch of turmeric powder and a pinch of chilli powder for about 10 minutes.
- Grind grated coconut, tamrind, coriander seeds, chilli powder or red chillies to fine paste. Set aside.
- In little oil fry onions till golden brown add fish pieces and water as needed.Fish does not take too long to cook. Make sure you do not overcook it.
- Add coconut paste to it and around 1 cup of water. Let the curry boil, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Adjust the consistency by adding water. Serve with plain white rice or brown rice.