- 2 cups shredded fresh coconut
- 1 ½ cup jaggery
- roasted poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped cashew nuts (optional)
- fresh cardamom powder
- 2 cups water,
- 2 cups rice flour,
- pinch of salt,
- 1 tbsp oil,
- ½ tbsp ghee
- In a thick bottom pan combine shredded coconut and jaggery.
- Cook by continuously stirring it on medium heat. In the beginning, mixture will become little watery and immediately it will start to thicken up.
- Cook till the mixture becomes brownish in color.
- At this point add roasted poppy seeds and cardamom powder and raisins and nuts.
- Mix everything and keep aside. Allow it to cool.
Boil water in a container.
- When bubbles start rising on the top, add oil or ghee (clarified butter)and salt Immediately add rice flour and stir continuously to mix up.
- Cover up for 5 minutes. Transfer the entire content in a mixing bowl.
- Kneed the cooked flour to make soft pliable dough.
- Make small balls (smaller than lemon) one at a time.
- Now hold it and spread it evenly in such a way that it would form bowl shape.
- Now place 1 tbsp filling in the middle.
- Dip thumb and index finger in the oil and make 5-6 small pinches side by side on the edges of the bowl and bring them together to form a peak.
- It should look like a whole garlic.
- Follow the same method for rest of the modaks.
- Now arrange all modaks on steaming rack or bamboo steamer.
- Steam them for 15-20 miutes.
- Switch off the gas when modak turns shiny in appearance.
- Serve hot with ghee on the top.