Tomato saar can be served as soup or curry with Rice. Enjoy as soup in rainy season to warm up your system.
2 big tomatoes or 4 small
1/4 inch ginger
3-4 green chilies
1 tbsp gram flour (besan)
½ tbsp cumin seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
2 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
2 cups of water.
Corriander leaves for garnishing
Salt and sugar to taste
- Boil tomatoes in little water. Let it cool and remove the skin of tomatoes.
- Put tomatoes along with water in blender and make a fine paste.
- Transfer the contents from the blender to a sauce pan.
- Add 2 cups of water to the paste. Turn on the heat and boil the mixture in sauce pan.
- Meanwhile make paste of green chilies, and ginger. Heat ghee in small heavy bottom pan.
- Add cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida, curry leaves, and already made paste of chilies and ginger.
- Turn off the heat. Pour this tempering on the top of boiling tomato mixture.
- Add 1 tbsp of gram flour for thickening of saar/soup.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Simmer for few minutes till desired consistency. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot saar with rice. Or enjoy as a soup with garlic toasted bread.