Usually Sheera done during puja and offering to god is made with banana.
For lighter version you can replace milk with half water and half milk.
1/4 cup Ghee
1 1/4 cup cup Whole fat Milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
few strands saffron (optional)
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan and saute the sooji/semolina till it is toasty and fragrant. This should be done on a low flame to avoid burning.
- Meanwhile, mix water and whole fat milk together till it is simmering. Add the saffron strands, if using.
- Add the nuts and raisins and saute for a minute more.
- Add the sugar to the toasted sooji/semolinaand stir together after putting off the flame.
- Take sooji/semolina on gas stove and pour in the hot water/milk, take care as it will boil and start spluttering and stir constantly for several minutes till the sooji/Semolina is separated from each other.
- Cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes until all liquid evoparates and it is fluffy.
- Put off the gas stove and Stir in the cardamom.
- Serve warm, topped with ripe banana slices, if desired.
If you have constipation then add more milk or water to get porridge consistency. Add black raisins, 2 tbsp of fresh ginger juice or 1 tsp of soonth/dry ginger powder.
If you have cough and cold then replace milk with water. Do not add dry fruits.
Add Add black raisins, 2 tbsp of fresh ginger juice or 1 tsp of soonth/dry ginger powder.
When adding cardmom powder add 1 tsp of licorice/jethi madh powder.