2 cups Rice
2 teaspoons Yeast
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 Grated coconut
Salt (As per taste)
- Wash and soak the rice for 6 to 8 hours. Grind the rice and the coconut separately.
- Mix the yeast, salt and sugar with 1-2 tsp of warm water and allow to stand for 10-12 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Add 1-2 cups of warm water to make a thick batter.
- Keep covered for about 5-6 hours or till the batter rises in a warm place. pour into an idli steamer, steam for 20 minutes. Serve with spicy gravies.
- Sugar helps fermentation. This can be served with Chicken gravy or any veggie gravy.
- Traditionally people also use coconut “Tadi” in place of Yeast