Patolyo is made during nag Panchami and Ganesh Chaturthi. It is sweet made up of rice flour, jaggery and coconut. The aroma of patolyo is from turmeric leaves. This dish has so few ingredients but it can beat the taste of any other sweet.
- turmeric leaves (8 to 10 leaves)
- 2 cups fresh grated coconut
- 1 cup grated jaggery
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. finely ground cardamom powder
- Cashew, almonds pieces
- 1 cup rice flour to make a thick paste
- Salt to taste
- Wash turmeric leaves and wipe it dry with clean cloth
- Take ghee in a pan add the grated coconut, jaggery, and cardamom powder and stir for some time till they are evenly mixed.
- Add the dry fruits to jiggery coconut mixture. Remove from the flame after 5 minutes or until it is dry.
- Make a thick paste of rice flour with water and a pinch of salt.
- Apply the rice flour paste to the turmeric leaves till it coats the whole leaf.
- Put a spoonful of the coconut jaggery mixture on the rice flour paste and fold the leaf
- Steam this in a steamer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove and peel the leaf off before eating.
- This is made during Naag Panchami and Ganesh Chaturthi