Mangane is festive dessert made out of chana dal and coconut milk.
- 2 cup Chana dal
- 4 cups grated fresh coconut
- 2 cups shredded Jaggery
- 1 tbsp Sago
- 6-8 Cashew nuts
- 1 tsp Elaichi powder/cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Soak chana dal for 30 minutes.
- Wash sago and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Boil dal with sufficient quantity of water.
- Chana dal should not be overcooked it should remain whole not smashed.
- Then add sago to the dal and cook over low heat for another 5 minutes or until sago becomes transparent.
- Grind coconut and extract milk using 3 cups of water or you can use coconut milk.
- Add jaggery to the cooked dal.
- Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and cashew nuts. cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cardmom powder,stir and serve hot or chilled.
You can replace sago with rice flour.Rice flour may form lumps if you don’t add it properly for newbie’s take 2 tsp of rice flour in a bowl mix little water at a time to form a paste and then add to the boiled chana dal to prevent lumps. The ingredienst should be added in the order given.