Varan is served with rice,lemon and pure ghee. My favorite combination is varan with hot rice and ghee, pickle, batatayacho Phodi.... Yummy
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal/ Pigeon Peas
- 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1/2 tea spoon Jeera/cumin seeds
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 Kokum Petal
- Salt to taste
- Wash & soak toor dal for around 20 minutes. Pressure cook the dal with little bit of salt until it is soft.
- Grind coconut, turmeric and jeera with some water to a fine paste.
- Boil the dal on low heat and add the ground coconut, kokum and salt to taste.
- Let it boil for around 10 minutes
- Serve with hot rice topped with ghee.